School Board Petitions Available
Are you interested in running for the DeRuyter Central School Board of Education?
Two members of the Board of Education will be elected due to the expiration of the term of members Daniel Degear and Jodi Wiesing.
Petitions may be picked up at the office of the District Clerk (Sandy Welsh - Room 108 of the Main Building) between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm (except weekends and holidays), or by calling Sandy Welsh - 315-852-3400 x 7403 or email - email@example.com.
Completed petitions (with signatures of at least 25 qualified voters) must be filed with the District Clerk no later than 4:00 pm on Monday, April 17, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact District Clerk, Sandy Welsh at 315-852-3400 x 7403 or by email - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on "Running For The School Board", from New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA) for more information on running for the school board.
The following information is from NYSSBA:
New York State law requires newly-elected school board members to complete training within their first year of service. This training requires topics on the essentials of school board governance and a minimum of six hours in fiscal oversight, accountability and fiduciary responsibilities of a school board member.
During this training you will:
- Learn the roles and responsibilities of a board member
- Examine your legal duties and learn how laws and regulations impact the work of a school board
- Explore the role of policy and policy development
- Learn how to use data to drive student achievement
- Understand the board’s role in district finances and the annual budget
- Learn the basics of school district fund accounting